Τρίτη 30 Ιανουαρίου 2018

Life Update

I have not been on for a while but this month has been so eye-opening. I have spent many hours just being at uni and doing work, coming home late and repeating the same cycle. I got over 80% in two of my assignments and passed a law exam with over 80% too (pass mark is 70%, imagine)! There were times when I received the results that I actually did not believe it and I would go onto the uni system to refresh the page or visit it multiple times to see if that was actually the case.

I feel so proud of myself and also really tired. I have to finish two assignments by the 2nd of February because I am going to go and see my sisters and Mom in Glasgow which I am looking forward to!

I met up with a friend I have not seen since March last year. I have known her since 2013, when I started uni in England. Long story short, her Mom got ill last year and that resulted in her repeating her year so she could care for her. I don’t know why, but I wanted to give her Mom a gift. I remembered when I was in first year, we had Secret Santa in Christmas. We were assigned £10 to spend on a person we got at random. I got given my Taiwanese flatmate as the person I had to get a gift for. I remember I bought her a ‘kompoloi’ (strand of beads popular in many cultures used for passtime or prayer) that I found on ebay which was made of beautiful marble and mixed rose/peach colors on metal strand. I tried finding the same or one model in a different color from the same seller but it was a unique piece.

I was still fixated on getting her this gift, even if I could not find the one I wanted so I thought of asking my brother to make a similar model. He made a similar one with smaller lilac beads he bought from a vintage market in Beirut and was cotton stranded, non-looped. The funny story is that I thought of this idea in the summer.

Want to hear a strange coincidence? In November, my friend posted a picture of a tattoo she got on the inside of her arm that her Mom chose for her. It was an ‘om’ - a weapon of a Hindu god used to fight his battles connected to none other than prayer beads! When I saw the picture, I got goosebumps. I had not told her or anyone of what I was thinking to do apart from my brother who was going to make the piece.
I saw my friend yesterday, after months of not having seen her and gave her the kompoloi. Her family were very humbled and her Mom asked when I was going to visit so she could cook for me! The reason I am telling this story is that, sometimes funny coincidences happen and they are totally based on gut instinct. I feel so glad and humbled to make them feel happy and put a smile on their faces and the fact that my brother got to be a part of it is even better because I felt I understood his profession and the gift of giving even more. The fact that you can create something that can hold so much meaning.

Also, fun story, I came out to her and she took it so well. I realize how much I have grown. I didn't tell course mates or friends when I was in my first years because I didn't want to make it a big deal and, unfortunately, I thought they would distance themselves or stop being my friend or feel like by disclosing my sexuality that I would fancy them. She even apologised for not being there for me last year which I found really sweet! We discussed about relationships and priorities in life and uni. I do believe I learned a lot about life and myself when I was with my previous girlfriend. I do feel, however, that I would not have achieved as much if I was still with her. Not because she was holding me back but because time is fixed and being in a long-distance relationship, you have to input the time you don’t see them in physically by talking/Skyping etc.


I do not regret anything I have been through as it made me who I am today and I am happy as to where I am although I know there is always room for progress in this life.

Copyright © M.E.S.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου