Τρίτη 8 Ιουλίου 2014

7. A Letter To Someone You Respect

Dear Yiayia or Grandy/Grandoula,
The stories you have told me have stayed with me. I don’t remember some of the names mentioned but I remember the description of your voice.
You have lived such a challenging life and respect is the least I can say I feel towards you.
You are such a selfless individual and always do more for others than yourself. I wish you could see from our eyes just how important you are in our lives and feel the joy your presence brings us.
I admire how you’ve always been active and even if you’re eighty years old, you have the soul of a child.

Even if you did not finish elementary school due to the war, the ideas you express are so simple, comprehensible and exert virtue. Growing up you would often say these phrases to me:
‘I wish I had your youth. I don’t feel old! I feel as if I’m fifteen.’
‘The eyes don’t see – the mind sees.’
‘Find a person in your life who respects you and your goals. Find a person who loves you and lets you grow.’
I often think of and refer to these in some aspects of my life.
I love how when you’re in a mood to nap, you move your thumbs in a cyclic motion and softly drum them on your stomach while your hands are still interlocked.

I find it sweet how when you watch series on TV, you really get into the stories that are unfolded and empathize with the characters affected by some tragedy. If someone’s with you, you don’t hesitate to explain what has previously happened with the same awe. It makes me feel included – even if I don’t understand what has actually happened. Especially when you’re watching Turkish series, you whisper the subtitles to yourself and you seem so absorbed in the occurrences.

Sometimes when you’re working in the garden, cooking one of your delicious specialties, ironing, hanging clothes I hear you talk to yourself. I don’t know if you realize it but I have found it comforting throughout the past years.

I would visit your house often in my last year of high school and we would spend some time talking about life and family news. You would always ask me if I was hungry (you know me well hehe) and if I wanted any of the food that remained from lunch or a sandwich (toast). I remember coming to your house one afternoon with a little box of your favorite sweets (kariokes). You weren’t expecting me so when you opened the door you were surprised. When you saw the kariokes, your expression was priceless! You seemed so happy with such a small gesture that it made my heart swell up.

I look forward to seeing you and giving you a biiiig hug.

Love,
Marilena

















Online Users

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου