Τετάρτη 13 Φεβρουαρίου 2019

Today, I went back to the town where I studied in and promoted my placement to 3rd year students. It literally felt like yesterday that I was in their position. I hadn't been there since my graduation. It felt so strange. Sort of like when a limb goes numb and you regain circulation and sensation in it a few moments later!

It has been six months since I started this placement and I feel like I have learned so much and matured. I feel like university tries to prepare you as much as possible but having experience is crucial to deliver that theoretical knowledge acquired over the years (regardless of how much case based learning you go through). The empirical knowledge is so so different. In the university setting you are often ''protected'' by the sheltered environment. Your answer or suggestions will not cause any real harm (maybe to your ego!). Your attempts at diagnosis, referral points and lab results are genuine and are worked out on a 'ruling out' basis (much like practice) but there are no real consequences.

I feel like this experience has brought me so much closer to patients and their understanding. I got to know the people behind some of the prescriptions and names I know. I saw what a difference tone of voice and body language have to patients when they come and seek your advice. What a difference it makes to introduce yourself to them and seek solutions or just provide a safe environment for them to vent to.

In the university events I have been attending, students act and express the same concerns my year did when we were in their position. There still is the notion of hospital pharmacists obviously being ''more academic'' versus community or other sector ones. I find it funny because it also existed when I was in university and you can see it in the students you approach to talk to that, for some reason, them expressing the idea that they want to go into hospital is more ''prestigous'' or ''intellectual''. How funny that a sense of elitism exists in every profession! 

Ended up going to a Syrian restaurant and heading home. The parents are visiting for a few days and I am so excited to hug them and spend time with them. Haven't seen them since graduation too! How crazy is that.





Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου